Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Ahh!! What to make for tomorrow's potluck??!!

After a lovely dinner out, I ran home to make some sort of treat for a potluck tomorrow evening. We need to leave immediately after I get home from work, so the makin' was happening tonight. I had a beautiful dream of Brownie Pie... mmm gooey and pie. (I had one left that I'd hidden away for just such an occasion.) I drove home in the middle of a giant thunderstorm, ran in the house (nope, no umbrella) and realized that I was out of pie crust. Poo! I did not want to leave again so I ran upstairs to check my stash.

Perfect!! I seem to remember some peaches hidden in the freezer! YEAH! I don't have to run to Food Lion! A while ago, (OK, so it might have been last year's peach season), I nicely sliced them up and stuck them in the freezer for just such an occasion. I start digging around looking for the peaches. I move a box of pre-made hamburgers (gross, why do we have these?), and about 150 red freeze pops (neither of us like the red ones, why do we keep them? not really sure...) and I find...

GIRL SCOUT COOKIES!!! HOLLY COW! How did I not know they were in there???!!! Sweet, cookies for me, cobbler for the people.

Let's see what I need, milk, fruit and butter.

Open the door to get the butter and milk and...

What you don't see is Titus frantically batting at the drawer. He does this EVERY time we open the fridge. Not sure why, I think he's a little OCD. It doesn't matter what's in the drawer, bottled water, apples, can of Slimfast... He's not picky.

OK, defrost the fruit, (I actually used about 3 1/2 cups of peaches)

Then melt the butter and pour it into a 9x9 pan. Yes, an entire stick of butter in the pan. If I were making this for myself, I would use something a little less fattening, but since it's going to a Potluck, butter it is!
*Handy tip to make people think you're an awesome cook when taking dishes to an event - use the full fat version of the ingredients. I know, cringe, cringe, but seriously, butter tastes better and it'll make your dish taste better. Of course this isn't an option if you're going to an event full of people with dietary concerns. BUT, if there are a bunch of foods to choose from, chances are, any one person will only take a small serving. Even butter is good in moderation!

Open the Homemade Gourmet package and combine it with 1/2 cup of milk. Mix it together and pour over top of the melted butter. Then, take your fruit (peaches) and spoon them on top of the batter, Make sure they cover the top and are in the corners of the pan. DO NOT mix everything together! As it cooks, the batter will cook up and around the fruit!
Bake at 350 for 50 to 60 minutes and....

MMMM... all ready for tomorrow evening! I'll cover it with foil and tomorrow before we leave I'll pop it in the oven at 350 for a few minutes to heat it up. Nope, not bringing ice cream but it would be tasty on top!

Enjoy!

Lara

1 comments:

Lindsay said...

looks delish! and i love the cat lol my cat looks a lot like yours but likes to climb into the cereal cupboard if its open, or into file cabinet drawers...or when we sit at the table to eat she jumps up onto one of the chairs and peeks her head over the top of the table as if asking "where's mine?" cats can be so funny